Offered at: $25,000,000
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."
"Beauty is the only thing that time cannot harm. Philosophies fall away like sand, creeds follow one another, but what is beautiful is a joy for all seasons, a possession for all eternity."
There is something irresistible, something sublime, something eternal, to the creative process…
To the honest and faithful pursuit of perfection and grace.
Definitions of “beauty” and “perfection” may change over time. But the human aspiration to achieve these virtues is immortal.
It is this spirit, this aspiration, this devoted pursuit of beauty and perfection that is evident in every aesthetic detail of the home at 540 El Camino Del Mar. The vital force and essential nature of the hundreds of artisans that have created this masterpiece are alive and well in every one of those aesthetic triumphs: As is the faith and hope of their devoted patrons. For nearly a century, artist and advocate have toiled, hand-in-hand, to create, and recreate, this architectural paragon of Italian Renaissance design and construction.
But beyond the supreme skill and craftsmanship of the artists and advocates that have created this magnificent villa, there are two other essential elements that distinguish this home from so many of the other redesigned and renovated mansions in our dynamic City: 540 El Camino Del Mar is overflowing with a soulfulness and playful spirit that make it as prized, as it is cherished.
How many homes in our enchanting City combine the prominence, privacy, size, and utility of the land (which is a walled and gated, flat and usable corner parcel measuring 17,149 Square feet, per tax records); with the grandeur, scale, and volume of a 1926 Italian Renaissance Villa (of some 20 rooms on three floors, measuring 10,598 square feet, per draftsperson); with the aesthetic beauty, utility, craftsmanship, construction methods, and use of rare and valuable materials; with dramatic views that stretch from the Pacific Ocean, to the Marin Headlands, to mouth of the Bay, to the Golden Gate Bridge; in one of the most sought after neighborhoods in San Francisco; with such immediate access to parks, beaches, golf courses, museums, fine schools, and local shops and restaurants; with the soul and playfulness of this utterly unique Estate Property?
This is a place that flawlessly balances boundless beauty and grace, with childlike mirth and exuberance.
It is a place of hopes and dreams, and of joy and laughter.
And after more than three decades of love and devotion in the hands of its current steward, it is a home that awaits its next blissful chapter.
One that will surely be written by stewards that are equally devoted to the same set of human virtues that have treasured and cherished this extraordinary home, for nearly a century.
SUMMARY OF THE HOME
- 20+ Rooms, 6+ Bedrooms, 5 Full Bathrooms, and 3 Half Bathrooms on a 17,149 Square Foot (per tax records) corner lot; making it among the largest and most private walled, and gated residential lots in San Francisco.
- The estate home is approximately 10,598 Sq. Ft. (as per draftsperson) on Three Levels, with Breathtaking Views of the Pacific Ocean, San Francisco Bay, Golden Gate Bridge, and the Marin Headlands.
- The current long time residence of Marsha Williams, Producer, philanthropist, and Patron of the Arts, and the late Actor and Comedian, Robin Williams.
- Built in 1926, this elegant Italian Renaissance Style Villa was restored by Marsha and Robin Williams, who took great pains to honor the home’s elegant millwork, elaborate iron, tile, and woodwork, while preserving the rare and valuable building materials used in the original construction.
- A century of dedication, artistry, and pride of craftmanship is evident in every architectural detail, which includes wide plank oak flooring, intricately carved paneled doors, handcrafted tilework, handsome built-in cabinetry, elaborate crown molding, and exposed beamed ceilings including an ornately patterned vaulted ceiling above the central staircase.
- Period and contemporary wrought iron, copper, and bronze metalwork throughout.
- Dramatic Entry with ornately carved archway, marble columns, oversized marble door trim, and lighted landscape features.
- The gracefully appointed grand Foyer is the central focal point of the home, leading to the home’s several palatial Public Rooms.
- Pacific Ocean, San Francisco Bay, Golden Gate Bridge, and Marin Headland views.
- South gardens and outdoor access from the Library, Media Room / Billiards Room, and Whiskey Room through double French patio doors.
- Spacious Media Room / Billiards Room, with traditional hardwood wall paneling (concealing a prohibition era bar), opens onto the west patio, south lawn, and garden.
- True master chefs will appreciate the spectacular eat-in Kitchen and adjoining Butler’s Pantry, with center island, triple sinks, abundant counter space, and the finest quality materials and appliances including brands such as La Cornue, Sub-Zero, Miele, etc., and timelessly designed Custom cabinets with intricate wood inlay, by Britain’s Smallbone Design Studio.
- The large Northeast facing Loggia showcases dramatic Golden Gate Bridge views, through tall archways.
- Incomparable lawns and gardens, mature trees and hedges, flowering plants and bushes surround the entire estate home; with an unparalleled size, scale, and privacy reminiscent of the finest villas along the shores of Lago di Como in the Lombardia region of Northern Italy.
- Media/Entertainment Room off the Kitchen with a Half Bath overlooks the level east lawn and Outdoor Dining Patio.
- The majestic Primary Suite, with double height vaulted ceilings features breathtaking panoramic water views that stretch from the Pacific Ocean to the Golden Gate Bridge.
- The stately complex of rooms that make up the Primary Suite combine to create an unrivaled oasis of peace and tranquility.
- The Japanese themed Primary Bath also features direct Golden Gate Bridge views, with an enormous dressing room / closet, custom made built-in vanities and furniture pieces, as well as a platform soaking tub with separate walk-in shower enclosed with decorative glass paneling.
- Four additional Bedrooms, two Full Baths plus a Home Office complete the upper level of the estate home.
- On the garden level of the home, there is a one bedroom Guest Apartment with separate entrance, as well as a Fitness Center with a Full Bath and Helo Sauna made in Finland.
- Also located on the garden level is the Wine Cellar, Pantry, and inexhaustible Storage Closets.
- Multiple concealed Safe Rooms throughout the home, plus a large, ventilated walk-in Vault.
- Large 4 car Garage with side by side and tandem parking, and extensive storage cabinetry. Whole house central vacuum system.
- Located on the intersection of Sea Cliff Avenue and El Camino Del Mar, on one of finest lots in the City’s elegant and sought-after Sea Cliff neighborhood.
- In the immediate vicinity of China Beach and in close proximity to Baker Beach. Minutes from the Golden Gate Bridge, the Presidio of San Francisco with its nearly 1500 acres of open space, hiking trails, bike paths, and other attractions; as well as being just minutes away from Land’s End, the renowned Lincoln Park Golf Course, The Legion of Honor Museum, and neighborhood shops and restaurants just blocks to the South. With easy access to the Peninsula and Silicon Valley, the Sea Cliff neighborhood also boasts many of San Francisco's finest public and private schools.